Thursday, January 21, 2010

to go electric or acoustic

On the one hand, I do enjoy my rattly acoustic guitar, with it's sharp edge frets and beautiful sticky marks from all the all access upstairs at the garage stickers I used to put on it. However, sometimes I want my fingers not to hurt quite so much, so I dug out my firebird, and also Piers' tele custom, and tried a few tunes on each. I realised that I'd not really played electric guitar for ages, probably not since the gig we did with casiotone for the painfully alone before christmas. Shocking, anyway, I dig it, but now the question is, how to record it? Previously I've mic'd my marshall mini amp with a wierd fake sm 57 that I got off the previously mentioned Mr Phill Rodgers, but I think I may hit ebay and see if I can score one of the sennhaiser e609 type mic's. We used that on Gareth's Vox AC15, when we recorded the Felix album. Nice sounds, to my ears! However I was quite surprised to find that I prefer playing my firebird, which seems to have lived a pretty seriously hard life, and had to have a lot of loving care from Jon Free. Here's a small pic' of it fret damage not pictured! Anyway the pickups are as microphonic as douglas baders metal legs, but it's easy to play, the tele' has a massive neck to my hands.. Now i just need to get dig my hagstrom out from behind the coat stand, the shoe rack, the laundry and a deconstructed ikea sofa bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment