Sunday, January 3, 2010

Sunday 3rd


3 days into the new year, so I thought I'd try and get some more thoughts down. For a little while I've been wanting to actually finish some music for my own satisfaction.
Quite a few years ago I had an idea that I wanted to record a song for each place I'd lived in, that was a paper idea for a long time, but was never really practical or particularly inspiring (i lived in a lot of depressing and/ or boring places), but I got around to having a band name, "the whole sick crew".
I'm pretty sure there's a million bands with that name, but since I never intend to play live, or sell a tune, I think i'll get away with it. The name comes from the Thomas Pynchon novel "V". The edition i have is from 1975, the year of my birth, and the cover is over there on the left.
V was Pynchon's first novel, I read several of his later books first, and got to V' in about 1998, when I was finishing university, I think I read more books that year than before or since, I guess displacement activity is a good way to expand your reading list. It probably would have helped if i wasn't trying to finish a chemistry degree though.
V is the old story, man loves possibly imaginary female personification of desire, loses her, retraces his unreliable father's diary, gets involved in some strangeness and then finally finds her and she appears to be a clockwork robot. You know how it goes?
Anyway, I always liked this particular cover, i like to think it pictures main crazy man, Herbert Stencil and the rather bad lot who comprise the whole sick crew in the midst of one of their swinging do's. I came by the book in a rather underhand way, my apologies go out to Putney library, a very nice building there on the right. It's a long time ago now, though, perhaps a veil could be drawn?
The Whole Sick Crew, represents the absolute apotheosis of how I've always lived. I'm pretty sure I can count on one hand the number of parties I've been to which didn't end up with me feeling somewhat depressed, but that's why I like the name really. Incongruity.
So, when I decided that this year I would actually use all the various bits and pieces of musical equipment and recording gear I have lying around the house and finish some music, rather than as a potential obstacle course for my soon to be toddling son. I thought I'd use the name, it seemed even more pleasingly incongrous, because I intend to be my own one man whole sick crew. I'm going to use this blog to post pic's and video's from recording and maybe even writing, although that's probably less visual. More on libraries and the over arching plan tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment